Monday, June 2, 2014

A Grand Entrance

Lena Sue
On May 22, at 8:11 am, Lena Sue arrived via repeat c-section. She weighed 8 pounds, 11 ounces and was 20 inches long. She is perfect in every way.




The entire week before she came, I had been having contractions. I didn't think I would make it to my section date, but I did. We arrived at the hospital around 5 am, and I was contracting every 2-4 minutes. While I had a c-section, Lena still chose that day for her birth regardless. 

My surgery was scheduled for 7:30 am, so during the 2 and a half hours, they took my history, started an IV, and gave me a few meds. 


At about quarter to 8, we headed into the OR.


During my spinal, the power went out in the hospital. So they had to stop and wait. Which meant when the power came back on, they had to start again. Ouch.

Surgery went great, no pain during, and minimal after. I had to go down to the PACU after, because of the power outage, instead of being able to recover on the birthing floor. But, and here is the great part, even though I had to leave to recover, Lena was able to go straight to our mother/baby room with Sam. She never left to go to the nursery after birth. I was in recovery for maybe 20 minutes or so, then brought up to our room, where she was able to breastfeed and we were able to bond and get to know each other.



They also didn't give her a bath, giving us time to bond, and let her vernix absorb in a little better, until she was about 8 hours old. At that time, they did take her to the nursery to give her a bath and to do her hearing test (she passed). Other than that, the only time she left our room was when she went walking in the hallway with us and when we left to go home. 




The older kids came soon after she was born to meet her. Seeing all four of my kids together melted my heart.






We came home on Saturday the 24, and Lena has been fitting in like she has belonged here all along. Which I guess she did.

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment